Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Demo Speech Self-Eval


For my demonstration, I decided to teach the class how to properly sew on a button. This topic is relevant to college students on a tight budget who might not be able to replace an item of clothing simply because a button has fallen off. Also, it's important to know how to sew a button on properly so that it stays on, and one doesn't have to keep replacing the same button.

The demonstration included sewing materials for each class member, and my speech included 5 steps: set, sew, swirl, stop and snip. As I talked through these steps, I used a large, make-shift button, needle, thread and fabric that were made out of (in order): the top of a coffee can, a crochet needle, yarn and a piece of cardboard. They seemed to work pretty well, but I wish that I'd been able to figure out another option because they were a little but cumbersome for me to work with, and I had to skip ahead a little (not sewing each side of the button on more than once) because I couldn't work quickly with the materials I had.

Although this topic isn't super thrilling, I felt that I delivered it with a fair amount of enthusiasm. I spoke in a loud and clear voice and I tried to use a lot of different level to keep things interesting rather than speaking in monotone. I had good eye contact with my peers, but as I mentioned before, the cumbersomeness of my visual aid made my body language a little awkward at times.

The main problem that I saw with my speech is that I didn't repeat the 5 steps again at the end of my speech. I think that had I remembered to have this in my conclusion, it would have helped those watching to remember them in the future.

* photo taken from ChrisGlass.com

No comments:

Post a Comment