Friday, April 30, 2010

Response to: To Smoke, Or Not to Smoke?


In Jenny's blog, she discusses the controversy surrounding smoking in public places. She cites two articles presenting either a side for or against banning smoking in public spaces.

I think she's correct in saying that the article that supports a ban on smoking in public spaces is the more convincing one. It presents the reader with many facts about the health risks of second-hand smoke, while the article against the smoking ban lists several reasons that don't even necessarily affect anyone but the writer. One reason he lists that smoking should not be banned in public areas is because "when people have to go outside of a bar to smoke, that means they're not listening to me play." He goes on to say that this is evidence that bars will lose revenue. Weird, loose conclusion to jump to...

On a more personal note, I've worked in a lot of bars and restaurants in my lifetime, and I must admit that I was VERY grateful when the smoking bans first started taking effect. I rely on my voice as a part of my income (theatre) and working in a smoke-filled bar was just terrible on my voice. I suppose that the argument could be made that I could have found another job, but ask any struggling actor what kinds of jobs allow them to work around their theatre schedule. There aren't many... It's silly to me that as a result of having a particular type of low-paying job I should have to subject myself to adverse health risks. I just want to deliver your drinks. I don't want to expose myself to an increased potential for cancer in the process. My family history is bad enough, thank you. This problem doesn't stop at bars and restaurants, though (which, thank God have started smoking bans in most states). I'm also subjected to some dude's smoke each morning at the bus stop. I inhale smoke between classes when I'm stuck behind a smoker on the crowded side walk. I get a whiff as I walk to my car after a show and pass by the huddled masses of smokers who stand in the entry ways of the eleventy billion bars downtown.

I don't choose to smoke, and it's not anyone's right to subject me to breath air that's tainted with their poor health choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment